Several natural remedies may help you to sleep better, including melatonin, magnesium, and valerian root. But even natural sleep aids should not replace good sleeping habits.
Getting a good amount of sleep is incredibly important for your health.
Sleep helps your body and brain function properly. A good night’s sleep can help improve your learning, memory, decision-making, and even creativity.
What’s more, getting insufficient sleep has been linked to a higher risk of developing conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity
Despite this, many people don’t get enough sleep each night and around 20% of adults experience occasional symptoms of insomnia.
Getting good quality sleep often starts with good sleep practices and habits. However, for some people, that’s not enough.
If you need a little extra help to get a good night’s sleep, consider trying the following 12 natural sleep-promoting supplements.
- Chamomile tea: Chamomile has natural sedative properties and can help you relax before bedtime.
- Lavender essential oil: Lavender has a calming effect and can help you fall asleep faster. Try diffusing lavender oil in your bedroom or adding a few drops to a warm bath.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is an important mineral that can help relax your muscles and promote restful sleep. You can take a magnesium supplement or eat magnesium-rich foods like spinach, almonds, and avocados.
- Valerian root: Valerian root is a natural sedative that can help you fall asleep faster and improve the quality of your sleep.
- Melatonin: Melatonin is a hormone that regulates your sleep-wake cycle. Taking a melatonin supplement can help reset your body’s internal clock and promote better sleep.
- Passionflower: Passionflower is an herb that can help reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. It can be taken in supplement form or brewed as a tea.
- Exercise: Regular exercise can help improve sleep quality and reduce the time it takes to fall asleep. Just make sure to avoid intense exercise too close to bedtime.
- Tart cherry juice: Tart cherry juice is a natural source of melatonin and can help regulate your sleep-wake cycle.
- Warm milk: Drinking a warm glass of milk before bed can help promote relaxation and improve sleep.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that can help reduce stress and anxiety, which can improve sleep quality.
- Lemon balm: Lemon balm is a natural sedative that can help reduce anxiety and promote relaxation.
- Meditation: Practicing meditation before bed can help calm your mind and prepare you for sleep.